Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tools of Ignorance

Tools of Ignorance (n): baseball slang term for catcher's equipment.

I agreed to watch my friend, Adam play city league co-ed softball on Friday. First requirement: four girls minimum on each team. Only three girls had shown on Adam's team, the fourth girl was going to be late. And guess what? Yes, I was told if I didn't play I would force the team to forfiet. What?! I don't like playing playing sports, mostly because I'm not very athletic. I love watching sports but playing, no way! I never played sports when I was growing-up only during recess and P.E. Even then, I didn't enjoy it very much. I would rather run the mile than play flag-football. I thought of two excuses: (1) I was wearing flip-flops and (2) I haven't played since elementary and I sucked. I know I sucked because evertime I came up to bat the outfielders would take about seven steps closer because they already knew I didn't hit the ball very hard.

Well, those excuses didn't work. I was given a long pair of red socks and Converse and was told to erase the elementary school memories. The first time I went out to bat I hit the ball and didn't make it to first. The second time, I didn't attempt a hit and walked. Adam hit me in. The last time I went up to bat I striked out. My outfield position: catcher. Playing catcher was not easy, I throw like a girl. The next day my arm was sore.

I have to admit that I had eff you en. Final score: Us 16, Christians 14. At the end of the game the Christians did a prayer circle and Adam joined it to be silly. In their prayer they said: "Please help those in this circle that haven't accepted you." I think they were talking about Adam, he he he.

No comments: